- Clan Name: Hunter - various spellings mention of latin Venator ( procurer ) in the 12th century and Huntar in the 14th century.
- Clan Motto: Cursum Perficio various translations I will complete the course
- Clan Chief: Madam Pauline Hunter of Hunterston the 30th Laird
- Clan Seat: Hunterston Castle ( Hunter's toun ) North-West Ayrshire Scotland
- Clan Lands: Ayrshire, Arran, Bute, Cumbraes.
- Clan Tartan :
- Clan links :
- Clan Hunter Canada
- Clan Hunter USA
- Clan Hunter Australia
One of the earlier mentions of a Hunter in this area is an inquisition by David, Prince of Cumbria, where in 1116 a William Hunter is cited as witness to an inquiry about lands pertaining to the church of Glasgow.
There is also a signature in the List of Nobles who signed the Ragman Rolls. The entry is signed by a Aylmer le Hunter of the county of Ayr and is dated 1296.
At Hunterston they have a frail parchment on display, which is a charter from
King Robert 2nd in May 1374 confirming the grant of lands to a William Hunter for his faithful services rendered. The William Hunter in question is believed to be the tenth Hunter of Hunterston.
In the mid-thirteenth century King Alexander III of Scotland had urged his lieges
to build in stone to protect against invasion by Norsemen. The invasion threat
culminated in the Battle of Largs in 1263 between Scotland
and the forces of
King Magnus III of Man and the Isles as well as his ally, King Haakon IV of Norway.
Largs is about five miles to the north.
In the 15th century the Hunter's were the hereditary Keepers of the Royal Forests at Arran and Little Cumbrae.
In the 16th century Royal demands were more of a military type. John Hunter 14th Laird died at the Battle of Flodden in England on September 1513 while serving his King.
His son Robert, "was trublit with sikness and infirmity" and in 1542 was excused army service to the king provided he sent his eldest son. His son Mungo succeeded as Laird in 1546 but was killed the next year whilst serving King James the 5th at the Battle of Pinkie.
Robert, son of the 20th Laird graduated from Glasgow University in 1643 and became a minister at West Kilbride. He was the founder of the cadet branch known as Hunter's of Kirkland, when he purchased land in that area.
Also in the seventeenth century from a younger son of the house descended the Hunter's of Long Calderwood. This branch of the family produced Dr. John Hunter the anatomist and his brother William Hunter who founded the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, which is the oldest public museum in Scotland opened in 1807.
Robert, grandson of the 20th Laird, served under The Duke of Marlborough and rose the the rank of General. Robert Hunter (1664 - 1734) was colonial governor of New York and New Jersey from 1710 to 1720. At his inaugural speech in New York he is noted as saying, ""If honesty is the best policy, plainness must be the best oratory" which must have been refreshing at that time of self-importance and ultimate power.
Hunterston Castle is located near West Kilbride in Ayrshire. It was originally a wooden fort and around 1250 it was re-built of local sandstone to enhance security in keeping with new technologies. It would be classed as a Peel
or Pele tower - a poor man's castle it was originally surrounded by a moat for extra protection.
The "great hall"
was added on in the 16th century.
Hunterston House was originally built in 1799 in the grounds to provide
more comfort for the family leaving the servants to stay in the castle and
it was modernised and extended in 1835.
Blairquhan Castle was built for Sir David Hunter Blair, 3rd Baronet in 1823
on the site of a previous castle dating back to 1346. It was designed by the
famous Scottish architect, William Burn. The castle remains in the
of the family. The present owner is the great-great grandson of Sir David.
Situated at Maybole Ayrshire.
Glenapp Castle was built in 1870. The estate was bought from the Earl of Orkney in 1864 by James Hunter who was to become the Deputy-Lieutenant of Ayrshire in 1868. The Scottish Baronial style of architecture was designed by the celebrated architect David Bryce. The castle’s sandstone battlements are topped by turrets and towers and it is situated at Ballantrae Ayrshire.